1. The Code of Service of the state institution National Library of Belarus (hereinafter referred as the Code of Service) is developed in conformity with the legislation of the Republic of Belarus in the sphere of librarianship, the Charter of the public institution “The National Library of Belarus” (hereinafter referred as the Library) and regulates the relationship between the Library and its users in the field of library, information and bibliographic services.
2. The National Library of Belarus is the state national public library and the national information, social and cultural center. The Library’s collections reflect the information, cultural, educational potential of the society. The Library’s information resources are available to all. Access is restricted to especially rare and important documents with a view of their safety, and also in the cases stipulated by the legislation.
3. The Library provides the right to gain access to its information resources to the citizens of the Republic of Belarus, foreign citizens and stateless persons who are at least 14 years old. In exceptional cases, persons who are under 14 years old are allowed to use the Library’s information resources on condition that they provide a passport and an application from their school’s administration on a letter-headed paper with obligatory justification for the need to use the library’s information resources, as well as in the presence and with the written consent of parents or other legal representatives.
4. Citizens of the Republic of Belarus, foreign citizens and stateless persons are allowed to visit the Library’s Social and Cultural Center. Children under the age of 14 are allowed to cultural and social events only when supervised by adults.
5. Users have access to the Library, information and bibliographic services in the Library’s reading rooms, through interlibrary loan and on the Internet portal.
6. The Library provides social and cultural services by arranging art exhibitions, excursions, educational and sports events etc.
7. The Library provides basic services as follows:
The Library also provides other kinds of services, including paid services according to the “Price List of paid services provided by the state institution National Library of Belarus to individuals and legal entities” (hereinafter –the Price List).
8. Each registered user gets a library card that provides access to information resources of the Library.
9. For the registration procedure, one of the following identity documents is required: passport, or Belarus residence permit, or refugee card.
Additional required documents:
pupil card – for students of technical and professional colleges;
student card – for university students;
scientist certificate – for research workers.
10. A library card is paid. No discount available. In the event that a library card is lost or destroyed (curved, broken, scratched etc), or its chip or barcode are damaged, or in case that a user changes their name, surname or patronymic name, a user gets a duplicate library card. A duplicate card is paid as well.
11. A user must acquaint themselves the Standard rules of use of libraries in the Republic of Belarus adopted by the Belarus Ministry of Culture resolution № 28 of 5 August, the current Regulations and confirm their agreement to these terms.
12. Registration of a collective user (legal person) is carried out on the basis of a contract on information and library service provision.
13. A user can visit the Library or access its information resources online.
14. Users visiting the Library have access to a system of reading rooms varied by users’ education and profession, fields of knowledge and kinds of documents.
15. User service is performed in accordance with the given Regulations and other local legal rules defining the interaction between the Library and its users.
16. During the registration, each user gets a consultation on the reading rooms they need.
The General reading room serves general secondary school students, students of technical and professional colleges, university students, and specialists having certificates of secondary, technical and higher education, including holders of bachelor, master, PhD degrees and PhD candidates.
The Specialists’ reading room serves graduating students and certified specialists including bachelors, post-graduates, seekers of a master’s or an academic degree.
The Scientific reading, Interlibrary Loan rooms serve candidates of sciences degree, doctors of sciences, scientists, research workers, heads of university laboratories, heads of university departments, university professors, and also sightless and visually impaired persons.
The Belarusian literature reading room, the Fine arts reading room, the Music and audio materials reading room serve graduating students of vocational schools and universities and certified specialists, according to a reading room specialization.
The Manuscripts, old printed books and rare books reading room and the Dissertations reading room deliver separate kinds of documents (manuscripts including dissertations, rare books and old printed editions issued before 1830) on condition that a user has an application drawn up by a research institution.
The Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Room provides services to staff; library users with a scientific degree of candidate or doctor of science, applicants, graduate students, teachers of higher, secondary special and general educational institutions, employees of research institutions, production enterprises engaged in research and development.
17. The provision of service to all categories of users is carried out in the reading rooms of periodicals, legal information, documents of international organizations, reference and information services, interlibrary loan and document delivery, at the exhibition of new arrivals, in the Internet centre, as well as by electronic delivery of documents and the issue of documents from auxiliary collections in all reading rooms of the Library.
18. Documents from the Library’s stock ordered by users are delivered to them upon presentation of their library ticket at delivery desks in corresponding reading rooms, as well as through electronic delivery.
Particular kinds of documents (printed music, electronic, audio-and visual documents, newspapers, etc) ordered from the Library’s stock are sent to a specialized reading room, recommended to the user upon registration:
19. In the event that a document is not available in the Library, the user can order it from other libraries of Belarus and other countries using the interlibrary loan.
20. Document delivery and paid service cease 15 minutes before the Library’s closing time.
21. The work time of the Library: daily (from 1 September to 31 May):
A day before state holidays: from 10.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
The following reading rooms and divisions have a specific work time approved by the Director General of the Library:
22. The Library doesn’t work on state holidays and on Easter Day (both Orthodox and Catholic). On each last Monday of a month, the Library is closed for cleaning.
23. In exceptional cases (governmental actions, functional disorders of information and engineering systems, etc.) the Library can change its work time. Notifications on any change are to be placed in advance on the Library’s Internet portal and information boards.
24. Virtual user service is carried out mainly through the library’s Internet portal (http://ex-portal.nlb.by), social network pages and other web-services.
25. Users of the Library have a right to:
26. Users of the Library must:
28. Users damaging documents or other property of the Library (computers, office equipment, furniture, electrical equipment, etc) are to pay damages in conformity with the legislation of the Republic of Belarus.
29. Users violating public order, disrespecting the staff and other users of the Library, are liable in accordance with the Code of the Republic of Belarus on Administrative Offenses.
30. For non-observance of the current Regulations, the user can be temporarily banned from the Library for the period up to one year.
THE LIBRARY’S RIGHTS AND DUTIES
31. The Library has a right to:
32. The Library must: