1.The Rules are developed in conformity with the legislation of the Republic of Belarus and the Charter of the National Library of Belarus (the Library hereinafter); they regulate the relationships between the Library and its users during the provision of library, information, social and cultural services.
2.The National Library of Belarus is the country’ main universal scientific library, the republican information, social and cultural center. The Library’s collection, as a particularly valuable object of cultural and historical heritage, is protected in accordance with the legislation. The Library’s information resources are publicly available. Restrictions on their use are placed only for the protection of particularly rare and valuable documents, as well as in cases stipulated by law.
3.The right to use the Library‘s information resources is granted to citizens of the Republic of Belarus, foreign citizens and stateless persons, aged from 14 years old; in exceptional cases persons under 14 years of age with a passport are accepted, on the basis of a request written on the letterhead of the educational institution, with the obligatory rationale for the use of the Library’s information resources.
4. The right to visit the Library’s social and cultural center is granted to citizens of the Republic of Belarus, foreign citizens and persons without citizenship. Children are allowed only if accompanied by adults.
5. The library, information, reference and bibliographic services are provided in the Library’s reading rooms, via interlibrary loan and by the virtual service.
6. The Library’s socio-cultural services are a variety of exhibitions, tours, as well as cultural, entertainment and sports activities.
7. The Library provides the basic services as follows:
The Library provides other kinds of services, including on a paid basis.
8. The right to use the Library’s information resources are provided by a library card which is issued upon registration at the Library.
9. To register as a user, you must provide an identity document: passport, residence permit in the Republic of Belarus, or refugee certificate.
For the distribution of users in the reading rooms, you must also submit at registration;
a student card if you are a student of institution of higher education, vocational or secondary special education;
a diploma on awarding the scientific degree, a certificate of assignment of academic rank if you are a scholar.
10. A library card is issued for a fee. Benefits to pay for a library card are not provided. In case of loss, or if there is any mechanical damage (bends, breaks, scratches, etc.), damage to the chip and the barcode, or a change of user’s surname, name, patronymic, you will get a new library card for a fee, on general terms.
11. You should read these rules and testify your agreement to their implementation by your personal signature.
12. Registration of collective users (entities) is made on the basis of a contract which determines the procedure for the provision of library and information services.
13. A user can contact the Library through direct visits and remote access.
14. Users who directly visit the Library have access to the reading rooms which are differentiated by level of users’ education and profession, industry knowledge and document types.
15. User service is carried out in accordance with these Code of Service and other local regulations of the Library which clarify the relationship between the Library and users.
16. Each user is recommended an appropriate reading room at registration.
The general reading room provides services to high school students, students of vocational, specialized secondary and higher educational institutions, specialists with secondary, special secondary and higher education including bachelors, undergraduates, graduate students, candidates for a degree.
The Scientific reading rooms provide service to candidates of sciences degree, doctors of sciences, scientists, research workers, heads of university laboratories, heads of university departments, university professors, and also sightless and visually impaired persons.
The Belarusian literature reading room, the Fine arts reading room, the Music and audiovisual materials reading room provide service to undergraduates of vocational schools and universities and certificated specialists, according to a reading room specialization.
The Manuscripts, old printed books and rare books reading room and the Dissertations reading room delivers separate kinds of documents (manuscripts including dissertations, rare books and old printed editions issued before 1830) on condition that a user has an application drawn up by a research institution.
The interlibrary loan and document delivery reading room provides service to collective users by interlibrary loan.
17. The Periodicals reading room, the Legal information reading room, the Documents of international organizations reading room, the Recent acquisitions exhibition, the Information service department and the Internet Center provide service to all users and deliver documents from their deposit collections to all reading rooms of the Library.
18. Documents ordered by a user from the stock are delivered upon presentation of a library card, at cerculation desk in a reading room recommended at registration.
Particular kinds of documents (printed music, electronic, audio- and visual documents, newspapers etc) ordered from the stock are delivered in a profile reading room:
19. In the absence of the required document in the collections of the Library, user can order it from other libraries in Belarus and abroad through interlibrary loan and document delivery.
20. Delivery of documents and provision of paid services cease 15 minutes before closing the Library.
21. The library provides service in the following way:
daily (from 1 September to 31 May):
In summer (from 1 June to 31 August):
On the eve of public holidays the Library works from 10.00 to 18.00.
The following reading rooms and divisions operate according to a separate schedule approved by the director of the Library:
22. The Library doesn’t work on public holidays and on the Easter Day (both Orthodox and Catholic). On each last Monday of a month the Library is closed for cleaning.
23. In exceptional cases (in case of a state-level activities, technological failures etc) the Library has the right to make changes to its operating mode. Informing about changes is made in advance on the Library’s online portal and information stands.
24. Remote service is carried out on the Library’s Internet portal (http://ex-portal.nlb.by), and also on social networks and other web services.
25. Users of the Library have a right:
26. Users of the Library must:
RESPONSIBILITY OF USERS
28. Users causing damage to the property or documents of the Library (computers, office equipment, furniture, electrical equipment, etc.) will cover the loss under the laws of the Republic of Belarus.
29. Users violating public order, insulting staff and Library users are responsible according to the Code of Administrative Offences of the Republic of Belarus.
30. For non-observance of the current Code of Service, a user may be temporarily restricted or deprived of access to all information resources and services of the Library.
THE RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF THE LIBRARY
31. The Library has a right:
32. The Library must: