1. These Instructions are developed in conformity with the Code of Service of the National Library of Belarus, the Rules about Internet access in the reading rooms of the National Library of Belarus, the Rules about information copying, the Library carrel instructions and the Rules about electronic documents service, and specify the service procedure in the Dissertations reading room (the Room hereinafter).
2. The Room provides services to bachelors, post-graduates, seekers of a master’s or an academic degree and other certificated specialists.
3. The Room delivers hand-written dissertations from the depository and the deposit collection of the Room and provides access to the electronic library of dissertations and abstracts of the National Library of Belarus, acquired databases, public network collections of dissertations and dissertation microfiches.
4. Hand-written dissertations defended in the Republic of Belarus are delivered to user on the grounds of the letter of request written on the official blank, sealed and signed by the head of the institution (industry) user works (studies) at. The letter is valid during one year.
5. Dissertation microfiches, electronic copes of dissertations of the National Library of Belarus (the Library hereinafter) and foreign dissertation are available to all users.
6. The work time of the Room corresponds with the work time of the Library.
USER INSTRUCTION ABOUT DOCUMENTS ORDERED FROM THE LIBRARY’S DEPOSITORY
7. User can apply to the assistant librarian in the Room or the bibliographer-consultant of the information department (atrium, 2nd floor) for information how to search bibliographical information and order documents from the depository.
8. User can order from the depository only hand-written dissertations defended in the Republic of Belarus.
9. Order of documents is made automatically on any user workbench through the Electronic catalog of the Library.
10. User can order up to 5 documents.
11. Booking service “today for today” ceases 1 hour before the Library’s closing time. Bookings made later are fulfilled on a day the user chooses when placing an order.
12. The order is fulfilled within 30 minutes.
13. To receive ordered documents user must pass the library ticket to the assistant librarian at the delivery desk of the Room.
14. User can take 1 dissertation at once.
15. User can take 1 document from those booked by other users. The term of use is 1 hour at the most.
16. User must keep the request card enclosed in the borrowed document during the whole term of use.
17. Delivery of documents ceases 15 minutes before the closing time of the Library.
18. Borrowed documents are to be returned at the delivery desk in the anteroom. User must notify the assistant librarian of the necessity to book documents, extend the lending period or return documents to the depository.
19. User can book documents for 30 days. The booking period can’t be extended.
20. User can book up to 5 documents.
21. Work with microforms is carried out on special equipment prepared by the assistant librarian.
22. It is forbidden to take away documents from the Room.
23. User is responsible for all taken documents. In the event that you detect any damages when working with borrowed documents, please notify the assistant librarian.
USER INSTRUCTION ABOUT DOCUMENTS FROM THE DEPOSIT COLLECTION
24. Hand-written dissertations from the deposit collection are delivered by user’s request upon presentation of the library ticket.
25. User can take 1 dissertation at once.
26. Documents from the deposit collection can’t be booked.
27. It is forbidden to take away documents from the deposit collection.
28. Delivery of documents from the closed section of the deposit collection ceases 15 minutes before the closing time of the Library.
29. User is responsible for all taken documents. In the event that you detect any damages when working with borrowed documents, please notify the assistant librarian.
ACCESS TO ELECTRONIC RESOURCES
30. Electronic resources of the Library (except for the electronic library of dissertations and abstracts of the National Library of Belarus) are available on any user workbench.
31. Access to Internet resources is provided for educational and research purposes on particular user workbenches some of which are designed for bibliographical search only.
32. Before accessing Internet, user must pass the library ticket to the assistant librarian and note down the time of work.
33. User can apply to the assistant librarian for information about how to use electronic resources. In the event of complex information query user can apply to the consultant bibliographer (room 257).
34. Access to Internet resources is free of charge.
35. It is forbidden to perform any system operations in the computer network or reinstall software when working with electronic resources.
36. User can use text editors "WordPad" and "Notepad" when processing electronic data. To avoid information loss it is advisable to save intermediate files when working with text documents.
37. It is forbidden to process data on users’ electronic media. To work with your own media, take a carrel equipped with PC.
PROVISION OF ADDITIONAL SERVICES
38. The Room offers additional (paid) services as follow: photocopying and scanning of fragments of documents from the collections of the Library, export of electronic information to different kinds of data media and rent of carrels, according to the legislation of the Republic of Belarus and the Service Price List of the National Library of Belarus (the Price list hereinafter).
39. Copying of hand-written dissertations and electronic copies of dissertations defended in the Republic of Belarus is allowed with purpose of citing only.
40. Copying of hand-written dissertations defended in the Republic of Belarus is made by means of scanning by preliminary request, with a view to keep the collection safe.
41. Copying of dissertations from databases access to which is provided by the Library is made in compliance with terms made by the copyright holder.
42. Saving and further copying of electronic information to different kinds of media is made through the file “Briefcase” only on user’s workbench, according to the Instruction about electronic information saving.
43. To copy information from the file “Briefcase” user must notify the assistant librarian of the number of user workbench and the name of created file.
44. To copy electronic information it is advisable to render clear electronic medium. Export of information is performed after virus test (during which virus files can be deleted by the system). In the presence of virus files that can’t be deleted copying of information is denied.
45. Before staring to work in the carrel user must pass to the assistant librarian the electronic media for virus check, pass the library ticket to the assistant librarian and note down the time of work.
46. Payment is made by user at cash desks upon presentation of the order form filled by the assistant librarian, according to the Price list.
47. Paid service rendering ceases 15 minutes before the closing time of the Library.
To solve any problems not settled by this Regulation, please apply the Head of the Special Collections Division or the First Deputy Director for User Service and Ideology.