The Book Museum has hosted the "Exhibition of One Book" in honour of the Day of the Orthodox Book and the 400th anniversary of the Kuteinsky Theology Monastery since 9 March.
The general public has the opportunity to see a copy of the printed book monument, one of the most beautiful liturgical publications of the Kuteyinsky printing house, "Anthologion, or Tsvetoslov" of 1647. What is it, an ancient Orthodox book? Where does the word "anthologion" comes from?
The publication was published in 1647 in the printing house of the Kuteinsky Theology Monastery, where liturgical, church–polemical and educational literature was published in Church Slavonic and Old Belarusian languages. The publications were distinguished by their characteristic graphic design.
"Trefologion" is also called "Color Menaia", "Anfologion". Literally translated from Greek as "collecting flowers". In the Orthodox Church, this is part of the church service "Menaia of the feast", which contains rites for the most important holidays selected from the "Menaia of the month". The publication contains 19 woodcuts, which clearly show realism and originality. The masters used the technique of placing illustrations in the text. The Museum of Books offers to get acquainted with the copy in which the engravings are hand–painted.
Pan Bogdan Statkevich contributed to the construction of the Orthodox Theology Monastery near Orsha in 1623, which also functioned as a book center. Kuteinsky printing house existed at the monastery in 1630–1654.
An exhibition of one book will run at the Book Museum (room 347) until March 31, 2023.
The end date of the exhibition can be changed.
The opening hours of the exhibition correspond to the opening hours of Book Museum.
Entrance to the exhibition is available by the library ticket or ticket of the library's social and cultural center.
The article is provided by the Bibliology research department.