On June 17th, at the National Library of Belarus, the Embassy of the Federative Republic of Germany in the Republic handed over to the Library the collection of books removed from Belarus during the World War II.
498 books and journals published in the late 19th and the early 20th centuries in the Latin, German, French, Russian and Belarusian languages have been returned to Belarus. At the end of 1943 the books on biology and botany were removed to Berlin from scientific libraries of the BSSR. Most of them belonged to Goretskaya Agricultural Academy. Besides, the rare edition – the Hydrographic Atlas of the Russian Empire of 1832 which was property of the Belarusian Water Committee in Minsk, has been returned too.
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Federative Republic of Germany in the Republic of Belarus Dr. Gebhardt Weiss; Deputy Minister of Culture of the Republic of Belarus Tadeush Struzhetsky; director of the National Library of Belarus Roman Motulsky; representative of the presidium of Free University of Berlin Dr. Werner Fet; director of Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem Dr. Hans-Walter Lack and representatives of the diplomatic corps, ministries and official bodies of the Republic of Belarus took part in the solemn ceremony of handing over of the books.
Doctor Gebhardt Weiss and Professor Roman Motulsky signed the deed of conveyance of the books.
Before the event a press-conference with representatives of mass-media was held.