The electronic library of manuscripts (Manuscriptorium)
MANUSCRIPTORIUM is an information retrieval system which consists of an open catalog of historical collections and a digital library of manuscripts and old-printed documents. The National Library of the Czech Republic is the initiator of the resource and the content coordinator.
The project’s aim is to provide access to manuscripts and other historical materials (incunabula, engravings, historical maps, statutes etc.) published before 1800 which are of great scientific, cultural, and historical value. Today over 80 Czech and foreign libraries, archives and other organizations cooperate with the National Library of Czech Republic in developing of the resource.
The major foreign partner libraries:
- The University Library of Bratislava (Slovakia)
- The Library of Academy of Sciences of Slovakia
- The National Library of Poland
- The University Library of Wroclaw (Poland)
- The Library of Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
- The National and University Library of Reykjavik (Iceland)
- The Central National Library of Florence (Italy)
- The National Library of Spain
- The National Library of Rumania
- The National Library of Turkey
Since 2009 the National Library of Belarus has been participating in the project.
Manuscriptorium library houses185 thousand bibliographic records 4 thousand of which have links to original documents. Today, the digital collection of manuscripts and old-printed editions Manuscriptorium
is one of the biggest electronic libraries both in Europe and in the world.
The access to Manuscriptorium bibliographical records is unrestricted; full text documents are available inside the National Library of Belarus only.