The “Polymia” magazine is celebrating its centenary this year. The oldest literary, artistic and socio-political publication in Belarus was founded by such iconic figures of national history as Yanka Kupala, Yakub Kolas, Zmitrok Biadulya, Tishka Gartny, Mikhail Zaretsky and others. At various times, the magazine was headed by famous writers: Platon Golovach, Mikhail Lynkov, Ivan Melezh, Petrus Brovka and others. For almost twenty years (1948–1967), the editor-in-chief of the main Belarusian literary and artistic periodical was Maksim Tank, whose talent, erudition and awareness of the world literary process contributed to enriching the content and genre palette of the publication.
The book exhibition “Burn and blaze with sparks!”, dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the foundation of “Polymia”, exhibits outstanding works of Belarusian literature printed on the pages of the magazine. Among them are the novels “People in the Swamp” by Ivan Melezh, “Birds and Nests” by Yanka Bryl, “Heart on the Palm” by Ivan Shamyakin, the story “Sotnikov” by Vasil Bykov, prose by Ivan Ptashnikov and Boris Sachenko, plays by Andrey Makarevich, verses by Kastus Kiryenka, Aleksei Rusetsky and other classics.
The exhibition demonstrates the literary traditions laid down by previous generations of Belarusian masters of the word, continuing the works of today's authors of this authoritative publication, including Galina Vasilevskaya, Vladimir Gnilomedov, Viktor Pravdin, Viktor Shnip, Nikolai Cherginets and others.
The exhibition reflects the content and settings of the magazine from the very first issue in 1922 to the last issue in 2022. The exhibition is arranged in chronological order by decade. Next to the magazine are editions of works by famous authors, which were first published in “Polymia”. A copy of the magazine “Polymia of the Revolution” is also presented. It was published under this name in 1932–1941.
Among the rarities of the exhibition are the only lifetime book of the Belarusian poet “The Smoke of Life” (1928); autographed editions, namely collections of poems by poets: Yazep Pushcha and “Vita” (1926), Andrei Alexandrovich “Shadows in the Sun” (1930), Maxim Tank “The Road covered with rye” (1976); collections of writers' prose: Taras Hadkevich “Dal Palavaya” (1959), Pavel Kovalev “Hvyados Struk’s fail” (1967). As well as the publication of the first dramatic work by Kandrat Krapiva “The End of Friendship” (1934) with an ex-libris “Litfond Bookstore” on the title page.
The book covers "Polymia" stand out, the design of which has changed more than once over the course of a century. Among the presented documents is a rare copy with an original cover, published at number one in 1922, made by the outstanding Belarusian painter, graphic artist and illustrator Mikhail Filippovich. Attention is drawn to the twelfth issue of “Polymia of the Revolution” in 1940 with a photo portrait of the people's poet of Belarus Yanka Kupala on the occasion of the 35th anniversary of his literary activity. The characteristic design of modern Polyma covers was developed by Miroslav Shaibak in 2014. The visual project was dedicated to prominent figures of Belarusian literature.
The publications presented at the exhibition from the National Library of Belarus vividly show that during its existence, this literary and artistic periodical reflected the historical path of the Belarusian people, demonstrated an unwavering devotion to high moral and ideological and aesthetic values. Even today, the creative team strives to preserve the achievements of the magazine and the traditions of Belarusian literature with dignity, not forgetting those writers who became a real legend back in the 20th century, and shows the primacy of a creative person who works for the benefit of society.
The book exhibition runs Ringed Gallery (third floor) from November 23,2022 to March 10, 2023.
The end date of the exhibition can be changed.
The books presented in the exhibition can be ordered through the electronic catalog of the National Library of Belarus.
For more info: (+375 17) 293 29 80.
The article is provided by the department of gallery and exhibition activities.