A thematic exhibition "Water is the basis of life" dedicated to World Water Day is on show in the Official Documents Service Department (room 207) from March 19 to April 21.
This Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly on December 22, 1992 (resolution 47/93) and has been celebrated annually on March 22.
Water is the main asset of our planet. The existence of human civilization is impossible without it. Water resources are absolutely essential for human health and well-being and are vital to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and other relevant social, environmental and economic goals.
Although 70% of the earth's surface is covered with water, 97.5% is saltwater. Of the remaining 2.5% of freshwater, almost 68.7% is frozen water from ice caps and glaciers. Only one per cent of the planet's total water resources are available for human use. The main source of all freshwater is the oceans, from which about 500 thousand square kilometres of water evaporate annually.
World reserves of freshwater are not increasing, and its consumption is constantly growing. In the twentieth century, the world's population has tripled. During the same period, the consumption of freshwater increased sevenfold, including communal drinking needs 13 times.
Today, approximately 3.6 billion people worldwide live in areas that potentially experience water shortages for at least one month a year. This figure is projected to reach between 4.8 and 5.7 billion people by 2050, creating immense competition among water consumers in various regions.
It is not only a shortage of drinking water that is alarming but also it's quality. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 million people in the world are sick annually from the consumption of poor-quality water, more than 700 children under the age of five die every day from diarrhoea, which is associated with the consumption of unsafe water and poor sanitation. A detrimental effect is exerted by the results of human economic activity, clogging up waterways with pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, untreated sewage, radioactive fallout.
World Water Day aims to draw attention to the state of water bodies and the problems associated with their protection, to think about the role of water in the life of every person, to draw attention to the problems of lack of drinking water, the need to conserve and rational use of water resources. The celebration focuses on the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: Water and Sanitation for All by 2030.
Every year, World Water Day is dedicated to a specific theme, the theme of 2021 is "Making Water Value".
The exhibition offered to the attention of users introduces documents, including encyclopedias, reports and reviews of the UN, scientific research, monographs, which provide information on the state and use of water resources of our planet. A separate section presents literature on the policy of our state in the field of management and conservation of water resources in Belarus. The exhibition features more than 100 documents from the collections of the NLB in Russian and English: books, periodicals, UN mimeographed materials, brochures, booklets.
The exposition includes the following thematic sections:
Her Majesty Water: oceans and seas, rivers and lakes
Water resources of the world, their condition and use
International Watercourses: Protection and Management of Transboundary Water Resources
Freshwater scarcity is a global problem
Water resources and climate change
Use, condition and protection of water resources of the Republic of Belarus
The exhibition will be of interest to scientists, students, graduate students, specialists in the field of hydrology, environmental economics, environmental protection and everyone who is interested in the state of water bodies and the problems associated with their restoration and protection.
World Day for Water
International Decade for Action "Water for Life"
The official website for World Water Day
World Day for Water
Water and sanitation
World Oceans Day (June 8)
International Year of Freshwater (2003)
International Year of Sanitation (2008)
World Health Organization (WHO)
World Day for Water Resources
Water, sanitation and hygiene
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
FAO's role in water
World Day for Water Resources
Materials on transboundary water resources:
"Water without borders"
"The right to water"
"Water has a price too"
International Decade for Action "Water for Sustainable Development" (2018–2028)
Preserving the Quality and Supply of Freshwater Resources: Applying Integrated Approaches to Water Development, Water Management and Water Management (Chapter 18, Agenda 21)
Environmentally Sound Solid Waste Disposal and Wastewater Treatment Issues (Chapter 21, Agenda 21)
UN World Water Development Report
Dushanbe Declaration on Water-related Disaster Reduction
For more info: (+375 17) 293 27 34.
Official Documents Service Department