On the first day of the 15th International Bibliological Conference, April 4, the Keepers of Rarities exhibition will open in the National Library. The event is prepared by Book Museum and is timed to the 40th anniversary of the Bibliology Research Department.
For 40 years, the Bibliology Research Department has devotedly kept the most valuable part of the book collection of the country's main library. The collections of manuscripts, early-printed and rare books appeared at the same time as the library in 1922. The department was officially established in 1979 as a Department of Manuscripts, Early-Printed and Rare Books. In spite of all the challenges, our professional bibliographers have collected, stored, studied and promoted the Belarusian people’s book heritage, at all times.
Today, the Bibliology Research Department of the National Library of Belarus is the coordinating center of Belarusian book science, which carries out scientific, methodical and bibliographic work. Design and museum activities are significant areas of work. The team has implemented a number of large-scale educational, exhibition, scientific and publishing projects.
The Keepers of Rarities exhibition, dedicated to the landmark events in the history and activity of the department, presents archival documents, memorabilia, rare photographs and books. This is a tribute to our colleagues who, keeping the best traditions of the past, preserve and multiply the heritage of the nation.
The grand opening is at 16.30, gallery “Labyrinth” (3rd floor).
The exhibition will run in the Book Museum (347) until August 30, 2019.
The closing date may be changed.
The exhibition opening hours: see here.
Admission is by library card or by ticket of the library's social and cultural center. Information and tickets may be obtained at the registration desk.
Contact for information and booking of excursions: (+375 17) 293 27 22.
Bibliology Research Department
Read more about the grand opening of "The Keepers of Rarities" exhibition.