The book-illustrative exhibition "Singer of the Eternal City" dedicated to the 420th anniversary of the outstanding Italian architect and sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini takes place in the Art documents reading room (room 306) from December 10 to January 15.
In the history of world sculpture, Giovanni Bernini (1598–1680) occupies one of the most honorable places not only as one of the founders of the Baroque style, but also as an ingenious sculptor who created many magnificent works. He was a diverse and brilliantly gifted man: sculptor, architect, painter, draftsman, theater decorator. But the main business of his life was sculpture. In this form of art, he has reached extraordinary heights. Reproductions of the most famous sculptural works of the master – "Aeneas, Anchises and Ascanius", "Abduction of Proserpina", "David", "Apollo and Daphne" and others – can be found at the exhibition.
The life and work of G. Bernini was closely connected with the capital of the Catholic world - Rome. The sculptural compositions, statues, fountains and portrait busts created by the master leave one of the brightest plastic impressions of the Eternal City. The Roman Cathedral of St. Peter can be called a kind of museum of Bernini. It was him who gave the final appearance to the temple, creating a colossal marble colonnade in the form of semi-ovals, covering the area and turning it into a grandiose threshold to the building. The magnificence of these and other masterpieces by Giovanni Bernini fully allow you to feel the albums presented at the exhibition with the sights of Rome of the Baroque era.
At the exhibition there are also numerous articles on the work of the great sculptor, as well as a collection of memoirs of his contemporaries.
The exposition totals more than 40 documents.
The opening hours of the exhibition corresponds to the library’s opening hours.
Entrance to the exhibition is available by the library ticket or ticket of the library's social and cultural center.
For more info: (+375 17) 293 27 53.
The article is created by the Special Collections Department.